RE: Using Lilypond with OpenOffice?

From: Ray Peck
Subject: RE: Using Lilypond with OpenOffice?
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:43:29 -0800

>EPS should be fine.  Why do you feel that's overkill?

I've used EPS in the past, but always found it to be slow and buggy.
Perhaps this is no longer true?

I also am hoping for a simple workflow more along the lines of copy
and paste than "render and import".  I also would like to have a
single source document if at all possible.  In OO, as in Word,
the images can all live in the text document, and can be edited
from there.  You don't need a software build process to render
your text.  ;-)

>The obvious question is: have you considered using LaTeX, instead of a
>beast such as openoffice.  Talking about overkill...

I haven't seriously considered this for several reasons:

1. Although I've been exposed to TeX for many years (15?), I
have never learned it.  Learning it is a large task.  My life
is full of large tasks already!  ;-)

2. I greatly prefer a wysiwyg tool for things that involve
formatting.

3. It is very likely that contributions to the project I'm
working on will come from people to whom OpenOffice or Word
will be a challenge; TeX is out of the question.  Text-input
Lilypond will also be out of the question for these people;
the GUI will be required.

4. I would like to use a server-side XSLT filter to render
my OpenOffice Writer document to HTML for my website directly
from the document (I don't want to have different versions of
files for the source and the rendered HTML).

>LilyPond and LaTeX play nicely together.

Yes, I've noticed the family resemblance.

>There's a preliminary svg backend that can be used by sodipodi.

This doesn't parse for me (yet).

>But you'll have to figure out what openoffice can do, and the svg
>backend needs some work.

Can you define "needs some work" a bit more clearly?  What shape
is it in?  Can it generate SVG that the Adobe reader (for example)
can render correctly?  Is it mostly-working but incomplete?

The notation fragments that I'm going to be working on are modest:
a line or two of grand staff, simple rhythms, few markup symbols.
I don't need to be able to generate complex scores.

Right now I'm leaning toward building the notation symbol-by-symbol
in OpenOffice Draw, and I *really* don't want to do that!

Thanks.