Re: Still lyrics spacing problems

From: Alois Steindl
Subject: Re: Still lyrics spacing problems
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:09:16 +0100

On Montag, 18. November 2002 17:04, Alois Steindl wrote:
> Hello,
> I just tried my example at my office PC and it works as intended.
> I will have a close look what really happens at home. (I could imagine that
> there is still some unintended interaction between the installed
> TeX-packages TeXLive and tetex. Maybe some environment variables (eg.
> TEXMFCNF) are reset in internal calls.)
> If I can't find a solution, I will call again.
> Please don't waste your time now to find a solution, I really should be
> able to find it myself.

Hello,
after several hours of searching in the wrong direction I could narrow down
the problem and finish the song in time.
One reason for the spacing problems was, that lilypond found a file cmr8.afm
before cmr8.tfm. For some reason this did give wrong metrics and might be a
hidden problem in lilypond. In my case the afm-file was found in the TeXLive
tree, but I guess that it could also give problems when it is installed in
tetex.
The second reason is even more strange for me:
I tried to run 2 files, which contained the same song; the only difference
were comments and white space. But one file gave good results, the other one
bad ones. After I set the coding style to latin-1-unix in emacs, also the
second file gave nice results. Unfortunately I didn't save a bad copy for
testing. Emacs seems to be too nice today; some years ago one could see the
famous ^M line ending and such features, now you don't realize that.

Best regards
Alois