Re: question about lilypond and its representation.

From: Jordan Katz
Subject: Re: question about lilypond and its representation.
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 02:22:25 -0500

> It depends on what you need exactly. In the current development
> series, it is possible to dump an XML-ish representation of the input
> (of the music in the inputfile, to be precise), but Lily does not read
> it back.

It doesn't matter (for my purposes) whether Lilypond can read it back
or not.

>       blauw:~/usr/src/lilypond$ lilypond input/test/to-xml.ly
>       lstat(/home/hanwen/bin/usr) failed ...
>       /home/hanwen/bin/usr: Onbekend bestand of map
>       GNU LilyPond 1.7.0
>       Now processing: `input/test/to-xml.ly'
>       Parsing...<SequentialMusic>
>       <elements><SimultaneousMusic>
>       <elements><RequestChord>
>       <elements><NoteEvent>
>       <duration
>          log="2"
>          dots="0"
>          numer="1"
>          denom="1">
>       </duration>
>       <pitch
>          octave="1"
>          notename="0"
>          alteration="0">
>       </pitch>
>       </NoteEvent>
>       </elements></RequestChord>

This is great; it's very close to what I want.  However, I need the
notes to be represented in this manner too, for example:

\key c \minor r8 c16 b c8 g as c16 b c8 d | g,4

Could be something along the lines of (this is a rough sketch..):

<key c="minor">
  <rest note="8">
  <note type="1">c</note>
  <note>b</note>
  <note type="8">c</note>
  ..etc..
</key>

The specifics are not that important as long as the actual music--the
notes--are represented in an XMLish format.  Is this possible with
Lilypond?

Thanks a lot!
--
Jordan Katz <address@hidden>  |  Mind the gap