Re: Can this kind of junk be kept out of the list? (Was: Re: Hey SEXY!)

From: David R. Linn
Subject: Re: Can this kind of junk be kept out of the list? (Was: Re: Hey SEXY!)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:05:29 -0500 (CDT)

>> from the list. In order to post to the list, he/she/it must have
>> subscribed first, no?

No.  Posting to the Lilypond-User list is explicitly *not* restricted to
list members.  This state is a conscious choice, not the result of an
oversight.  We (the project leaders and I) want people to be able to post
to the user list without forcing them to subscribe to it.  There *are*
filters on the GNU Music lists - this message just happened to slip through
them.

>> I already wrote to the offender's ISP (address@hidden) to complain. I
>> hope they do something, and I also hope the list's managers do something
>> too.

If this problem recurs, I will take further steps to deal with it.  Since
I am subscribed to all lot of GNU mailing lists, I personally received
*many* copies of the "Hey SEXY" message.  Most of these things happen only
once and then there is a new and different problem to chase so I plan to
wait for a repeat of this problem before I act.

         David