Re: drum notes in parentheses?

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: drum notes in parentheses?
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:35:05 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

I cannot understand what happens - the drum scheme functions do not change the 'molecule-callback ...

No, but they change the NoteHead definition at Thread level,
overriding the molecule-callback setting at Voice level. I think
make-head-type-elem should insert an \outputproperty instead, as it
does something different per note head. Also, it seems that the
current code keeps extending the NoteHead definition, without every
reverting anything.

WHOOPS! You are right.
No wonder that I ran into so many guile-related bugs with my søndag-morgen exams, then!!! I replaced the override with a set, and that's that. The drum code should still be considered temporary and I don't really feel like making big changes in it.

> Final option: make a
separate drum-head-engraver and drum-head-performer and postpone the
translation to the interpretation stage. Advantages: this is cleaner,
and you don't need a separate MIDI block to get the instrumentation
right.

Yes, this has been on my todo-list for a long time. You surely remember the very longish letter I wrote about this subject, ages ago.

-Rune