Re: tab

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: tab
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 16:08:58 +0000

On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 17:54:27 Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Fingerings should be done more automatically anyway;

What does that mean?  The information in the tab is
string and fret.  That is not all of fingering, or
even most of it.

If the fingering is obvious it is not put in at all,
just like in piano playing.  Since guitar LH is fingered
in two dimensions instead of one, the LH is geometrically
more complex than piano.  The RH is not.

> I think that most
> assignments of fingering positions, especially in the 1-staff case,
> can be computed automatically. I don't want to kludge on more weird
> syntax (eg.  left and right fingerings).

Piano players use numbers for RH.  Guitar players use i for index,
m for middle, etc.  Nothing needs to be done unless you
have broken it.

> > And please consider this user syntax for setting up tab:
>
> No,  I won't. We have perfectly nice generic \property statements
> for such  things.

\property strings { { d' }{ b }[ g ]
{ d } { g' 0 6 }}

which could be typed:
\property strings {
[d']           % 1st string, top line.
{b}
{g}
{d}
{g' 0 6 }   % 5th string.  Has no 1-5 frets.
}

So how do I set up a banjo 5th string now?

g'/1 =  ----5--------
        ------------
        ----------
         -----------

Banjo requires notation and tab both.

Information is not knowledge.           Belief is not truth.
Indoctrination is not teaching.   Tradition is not evidence.
         David Raleigh Arnold   address@hidden