Re: Windows Install, ly2dvi -p (small p), fonts problem.

From: Daniel Côté
Subject: Re: Windows Install, ly2dvi -p (small p), fonts problem.
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 21:45:29 -0400

> It seems that there's a problem with tetex's configuration (.map
> files?), but I'm not sure and can't test right now.
>
> [snip, looks fine]
> > Invoking `dvips  -ta4 -Ppdf -G0 -u lilypond.map -oheader.ps header.dvi'
> > This is dvips(k) 5.90a Copyright 2002 Radical Eye Software
> > (www.radicaleye.com)
> > ' TeX output 2002.08.29:1938' -> header.ps
> > kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 8000 --mag
1+0/8000 --dpi
> > 8000
> > cmbx10
> > mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfour and resolution 8000; ignoring mode.
> > mktexpk: Can't guess mode for 8000 dpi devices.
> > mktexpk: Use a config file, or update me.
> > kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
> > dvips: Font cmbx10 not found, characters will be left blank.
>
> Doesn't ring a bell, if noone knows I'll do some tests next week.

 Thank you for answering quickly... I will wait, as I said I can get a PDF
through
GSView since the PS production (big -P option) works...

> Please be sure to have tetex-base and tetex-extra installed, so that
> you have a full tetex installation.  The bluesky fonts are in the
> tetex-extra package.

I had it on. However to make sure, I uninstalled, cleaned and re-installed;
same result.

By the way, should that not also be a dependency on lilypond install???

> If it doesn't work, you may try to run updmap

It complains that

$ updmap
updmap: config file updmap.cfg not found.

this CFG file is nowhere to be found in the cygwin thingy...

> ...after installation, or
> invoke dvips by hand, adding -u psfonts.map:
>
>     dvips  -ta4  -u lilypond.map -u psfonts.map -oheader.ps header.dvi

This works, but produces a PS which I already can have with the big -P
option on
ly2dvi. When I run ps2pdf on that PS, I obtain a PDF that both GSView and
Acrobat reader will not be able to read...

> Good luck,
> Jan.

Thanks again, I will wait and, for the moment, go on learning lilypond.

-------------------------------------

P.S.: I know it must become booooring after a while but... Best typeset I've
seen
        so far, I've tried commercial products and they do not come close; I
know
        I showed many samples to my friends (musicians, classical) I do not
tell
        them anything, I present them with several copies of the same music,
and
        they always prefer lilypond's... thanks for the extra miles in
quality.