Re: Tab one octave off?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Tab one octave off?
Date: 22 Aug 2002 17:41:06 -0400

    >> I think that if you use "G_8" with guitar music that it will save
    >> you and your users trouble in the long and the short run.  Its acceptance
    >> seems
    >> to be much more widespread than I thought.

    Lamy> Thank you for your reply !
    Lamy> But please can you go further and explain me what is the "G_8" ? I
have
    Lamy> only a very limited musical knowledge, and i have never used
    Lamy> non-tablature-based system.

G_8 is the lilypond for a G clef with a little 8 underneath it to
indicate that the notes sound an octave lower than they would if the
little 8 weren't there.  Lots of printed music is sloppy about whether
it's there or not, but when you're doing electronic publishing and
using the MIDI file, it's worth taking the trouble to get all the
clefs in one piece on the same pitch description.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139