Re: string substitution, transpose, auto-time

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: string substitution, transpose, auto-time
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:21:38 +0200

> Hello,
>
> I have these 3 questions...
>
> 1) what's the best way to use string substitution, I mean something like:
>
> tune = "c"
>
> soprano = \notes \transpose $tune {...}
> alto = \notes \transpose $tune {...}

The problem is that the c in this case is not interpreted
as a string but rather as a pitch. For this specific application
you could probably add an extra pitchname and set it at the
top of the file, but I don't know the exact details of how
to do it at the moment.  However, see the answer to next
question.

> 2) What's the best way to transpose a whole score? Should I put a
> \transpose on every expression? Can I do it in the global variable?

You can transpose the full score:
\score{ \notes \transpose d <
  \context Staff = first {...}
  \context Staff = second {...}

> 3) I read in documentation that I could use addLyrics with \notes instead
> of \lyrics. I would use it with an alto voice that has the same timing of
> the soprano voice (in fact, all voices have the same timing). Is there a
> way so I can type the timing only once? e.g.
>
> soprano = \notes { g2 g8 g8 f8 f8 | ... }
> alto = \notes { ees ees ees c c | ... }

Yes, just put \alto where you normally put the lyrics.

  /Mats