Re: Lilypond crashes while compiling this (correct) file...

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: Lilypond crashes while compiling this (correct) file...
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 15:57:12 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Btw: The problem occured when trying to typeset the first 85 measures of the first 20 staves on A4-paper. I need to typeset 385 measures of 48 staves on A3-paper - so there is still a LONG way to go!

whoah! What's this piece ?!
Okay, I'll tell you the story because it's really quite funny.

Back in 1992 a Dane named Peter Wallin decided to write a piece for 48 handclappers / wood-block-players. The idea was that the musicians should stand in a circle around the conductor and the audience and play different rhythms achieving sort of a surround effect.
PW used approx 6 months writing the score and individual parts BY HAND!

Yesterday 48 students at the university tried performing the piece (as part of one of the students exams), and I saw the score and I could really see that it was very systematic - it looked very beatiful, almost like art. The problem is that the score is size approx B3 - and hence too big to fot into any xeroxing machine. Hence there exists no copies of it in the whole world - the score that I saw yesterday was the only existing exemplary. I got sort of turned on on it, so I decided to make a c-program that created the 48 voices and output them in lilypond format. Well, the c-programming took about 4 hours, and now I actually have all the voices in a big file and just need to get them output.

The final exam is on tuesday (11th of june) and we actually have a small problem because the examinator needs a copy of the score.
I would really like to hand him a A3-printout of the score before that time.

The piece is really good as a stress-test of lily - and I'll probably send it to the list as soon as we sort the problems out (if the author allows me to, ofcourse).

-Rune