Chord slashes and percents repeats.

From: Robin Davies
Subject: Chord slashes and percents repeats.
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:24:06 -0700

Still working on Jazz charts... I managed to resolve chord notation to my satisfaction (thanks to all who helped out).

 Next problem: chord slashes.

When notating guitar parts (in particular) in Jazz charts, if more than one chord change occurs in a bar, you put chord slashes in the bar with chord changes over the appropriate slash. These look *exactly* like the beat repeats in the output from a percent-repeat, except that there's no starting note to repeat -- just four slashes to the bar. Since there's nothing to repeat (other than a slash), percent-repeat can't actually be used. Yes, it's true that more complex rythms require 8-th note flags, and dots and things -- however, one problem at a time. I suspect that if I could figure out how to over-ride note heads, I could solve the rest of the problem.

Next problem, of course, would be to generate bars that look like bar-length percent-repeats without anything to repeat (which would be used for bars with only one chord change in the bar).

What I'd really like to be able to do is use the slash symbol from the percent repeat as a note head, and then hide the stem (which seems easy enough) , but I'm really struggling with the samples in the "Tuning Output" section of the manual, trying to figure out how to do just that.

Is this a problem that anyone has a solution to?

Regards,

Robin Davies.