Re: How to avoid ps2pdf

From: Thomas Willhalm
Subject: Re: How to avoid ps2pdf
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:48:43 +0200

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 06:28:05PM -0400, Laura Conrad wrote:
> I've been running my lilypond through lilypond-book, latex, dvips, and
> ps2pdf in order to put pdf files up on the web that friends who have
> acrobat but not ghostscript can print.

Yes, it's strange that everybody has acroread, but nobody has ghostscript,
although both are free, postscript is older and tools to produce postscript
are available for free.

> I know there are lots of ways to get pdf out of TeX; is anyone here
> using one with lilypond and latex that doesn't involve ps2pdf?

The best tool I know to produce pdf is pdflatex. That's why I modified
lilypond-book to use pdflatex. However, I consider this version in alpha
or beta state at most. I have sent a patch to the developer list:
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/lilypond-devel/2002-February/000442.html
If you like, I can send you the file via private mail.

So far, I'm using it successfully to produce a booklet of songs.
With the hyperref package I get a nice clickable table of contents.
I haven't seen any floating note heads, but I don't use advanced features
of lilypond.

Best regards
Thomas

--