Re: Two-voice/shifting problem

From: Daniel Burrows
Subject: Re: Two-voice/shifting problem
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 19:55:54 -0400

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 12:55:04AM +0200, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> was
heard to say:
> address@hidden writes:
> >   Unfortunately, I can't seem to convince Lilypond that it should shift the
> > notes by itself.  It seems like \shiftOn is only effective when there
> > are three or more voices on a staff, and/or the notes aren't close enough
> > vertically to cause a collision.  (the notes are g, bf', and g' (quarter
> > notes), with c' sustained as a dotten half note)
>
> can you post a .ly snippet? I can't duplicate the problem.

  Oops, sorry.  I sent an example to someone who replied to me, but somehow
lost the Cc to the list.  It's attached.

  The essential thing that is a problem is that the music involves large
chords that are intermeshed, so vertical collision as well as horizontal
collision becomes an issue.  Er, maybe my example makes it clearer.

  As the comments in the score say, the first two measures show some
versions of I was trying to do; the third measure shows what I actually
did. (and what I was trying to acheive)

  Daniel

--
/-------------------- Daniel Burrows <address@hidden> --------------------\
|                       I haven't lost my mind,                               |