Re: Still cannot build GUB with stable/2.20 branch

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Still cannot build GUB with stable/2.20 branch
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 22:18:51 +0100

John Mandereau <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 2019-03-19 at 00:00 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> The currently rather long persisting release-less state is quite a
>> nuisance and I have problems understanding what stopped our releases
>> from working when they did work previously and I am not aware of
>> things particularly breaking this situation.
>
> I came back too late to be aware enough to provide a good answer to
> this, but it seems to me that it's been an accumulation of GUB and
> build issues and possibly also changes in build environments that made
> building binaries too fragile.
>

>> I cherry-picked those commits now but have no idea what I am actually
>> doing here.
>
> These build system issues have already been reviewed for submission; do
> you mean we lack policy regarding backporting changes in the build
> system to stable branch?

There is not much of a policy here.  I backport, the translation team
commits.  That's basically what happens with the stable branch.

So basically I am the one in control but that does not necessarily mean
I am the one with a full clue.

>>   Our current distribution of workers and implied or assumed
>> responsibilities does not seem to be in good shape currently.  We
>> should get this to converge to a better state if we can.
>
> Sure. There have been several developers recently involved in GUB and
> the build system, so now it's time to seize the fruit of this work (as
> we say in French) to roll releases again, possibly without slowing
> down too much on GUB work! That said, convergence may take some more
> time.

I'll do a review of bugfix backports once we have a new prerelease out
but I don't want to hold it up in any manner until we do.