Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:44:24 +0100

I have been following this thread with half an eye. What is the
problem exactly? I am pretty sure that

a) Apple has been distributing GPL'd binaries with OSX. I bet they
were built with XCode.

b) Apple has a band of lawyers that ensure that they stay within the
constraints of the license.

(see also
https://curius.de/blog/13-betriebssysteme/open-source/354-wenn-lizenzen-zur-huerde-werden-macos-und-die-gpl
, in German).

If Apple and their lawyers think it is fine to redistribute GPL
binaries made with XCode, then we should be fine too.

Further up in the thread, there is talk of running GUB on Apple
hardware to comply with XCode license restrictions. That would defeat
the point of GUB, which is to (cross) build from a Linux box. If you
buy an Apple box to produce lilypond binaries, you might as well do
some flavor of "configure ; make" to get it to build.

Why does LilyPond need still need GCC these days?