Re: New feature: automatically invert chords or drop/rise chord notes (i

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: New feature: automatically invert chords or drop/rise chord notes (issue 365840043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2019 15:37:12 -0500

On Feb 2, 2019, at 14:36, address@hidden wrote:
> Oh.  Then this becomes a whole other can of worms; what should be the
> correct inversion of an 11th chord?
>
> Should
> <c' e' g' b' d'' f''>
> become
> <e' g' b' d'' f'' c'''> (as you seem to suggest)
> or
> <e' g' b' c'' d'' f''> (as the current code produces)?

Isn’t the salient property of an inversion simply which note is lowest in
pitch?  (It has been a long time since I studied music theory.)  If so, both of
those fit, as does the chord resulting from lowering the e' by an octave.

Does it help to ask how a music theoretician describes the expected result of
inverting a chord a number of times equal to the number of notes in the chord?
Your examples would differ by an octave after that.

Speaking as a software designer, if you have implemented a useful function that
is more limited than the conventional musical concept of inversion, consider
giving it a different name—one that is descriptive without being misleading.

Regards,
—
Dan