Re: fundamental problem with gub's regtest tarball

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: fundamental problem with gub's regtest tarball
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 10:35:50 +0100

On 19.12.18 00:13, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
Folks,

we have an unfortunate dependency on the private directory layout of
the guy who has created

   lilypond-2.19.82-1.test-output.tar.bz2

(this file is needed for completing a gub build of lilypond).

For example, on my openSuSE box ghostscript aborts with

   Error: /undefinedfilename in --file--
   Operand stack:
      (/home/gub/NewGub/gub/target/linux-x86/.../otf/emmentaler-20.otf)  (r)
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   [...]
   Last OS error: No such file or directory

Yep. It is a known limitation that you have to be the user gub and that the gub
git repository must be the subdirectory gub in ~/gub/NewGub.

Additionally, the fontconfig setup must be adjusted to not use any
fonts outside of gub.  For example, the header in file
`accidental-ancient-1.eps' generated by my gub installation contains
the following.

   %%BeginFont: Emmentaler-20
   (/home/wl/.fonts/emmentaler-20.otf) (r) file .loadfont
   %%EndFont

   %%BeginFont: Emmentaler-20

(/home/wl/git/gub/target/linux-64/root/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/emmentaler-20.otf)
 (r) file .loadfont
   %%EndFont

Unrelated to gub, it's a  problem of lilypond. We should be able to easily
define a font search path for fonts in lilypond and to use a font by its
pathname.

For current versions of lilypond it's a very bad idea to put copies of
emmentaler fonts in places like ~/.fonts.

If e.g. you include pdfs generated by lilypond in *latex documents, if those pdfs are generated with -O TeX-GS and if ghostscript is used as a postprocessor for the pdfs generated by *tex, ghostscript might (depending on the command line) use the fonts in ~/.fonts and not the emmentaler fonts that belong to the version of lilypond that created the embedded pdfs. We don't have a fixed encoding for our glyphs, whenever a new symbol is added to the emmentaler fonts the fonts are incompatible to the previous versions whenever a glyph is not referenced by its name.

Knut