Re: What's up with grob property "skyline-quantizing" ?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: What's up with grob property "skyline-quantizing" ?
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 17:19:56 +0200

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>>> It is still being used, however, even though it has become impossible to
>>> set it.  More exactly, its hard-coded fallback value is being used.
>>>
>>> Should we stick with that and just drop the name of the property
>>> altogether?  It does not seem like it has been missed all that much...
>>

>> Regarding the recent discussion I'd vote to keep it as is for the time being.
>>

>> With the following minimal reimplementation it's settable again, so
>> everyone interested may do experiments.
>>
>> #(set-object-property! 'skyline-quantizing 'backend-type? number?)
>
> Sigh.  It's still not part of any interface or of any grob description
> and meddling with undocumented internals is not guaranteed to get the
> results you desire.

Indeed.
Thus I called it a _minimal_ reimplementation ;)

> It's not like I am intentionally looking for ways to annoy people: this
> egg blew up in my face while working on significant performance
> enhancements.

I don't feel annoyed.
I just wanted to point to a method how one can do experiments with
'skyline-quantizing.
Doing some empiricals with (more or less) working code may return more
info/experiences about how we should proceed with it, imho.

Cheers,
  Harm