Re: GUB

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GUB
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 14:42:28 +0200

Masamichi Hosoda <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Ubuntu 14 for both.  I would expect Ubuntu 16 to work but have not tried it.
>>
>> Not sure about that.  We had several incompatibilities in the LilyPond
>> code base since then (2.18.2 does not compile on current GCC versions)
>> and GCC is written in C++ these days.  Though the bootstrap process
>> might actually go through C-written GCC to get to its C++ compiler: not
>> sure about that.
>
> I tried to use GUB in Ubuntu 16.04 LTE 64 bit.
> But It failed with some errors.
>
> So I use GUB in Ubuntu 14.04 LTE 64 bit.
> I have not tried Ubuntu 18.04 LTE yet.

Seems like we don't have a lot of options other than porting the
bootstrap forward and I am not sure that all operating systems will stay
with us.  I'd actually be more comfortable with regard to licensing
clarity to move the MacOSX bootstrap to OpenDarwin, but I seem to
remember that OpenDarwin more or less is dead due to Apple not keeping
their promises.