Re: Skylines and certain grob properties (rotation, extra-offset)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Skylines and certain grob properties (rotation, extra-offset)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 18:16:33 +0000

On 4/20/18, 7:44 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Torsten Hämmerle"
<address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden> wrote:

    What do you think about making skylines consider the grob properties
    rotation and extra-offset?

    (1) keep everything as it is
    (2) skylines should reflect both grob rotation and grob extra-offset
    (3) skylines should reflect grob rotation only
    (4) skylines should reflect grob extra-offset only

    Obviously, (1) is sub-optimal and (2) and (4) would make extra-offset
    useless in many standard cases because it has been designed for arbitrary
    shifting around and shouldn't be hampered by skylines and it should be
    possible to make grobs overlap by using extra-offset.

    But skylines taking grob rotation into account would be a good idea,
    wouldn't it?

If it doesn't slow the code down too much, I would be in favor of having
skylines reflect grob rotation.

I don't think we should have skylines reflect extra-offset.  Extra-offset is
intended to apply after spacing decisions are made using skylines.  I believe
we want to keep extra-offset, but continually reduce the need to apply it.

Thanks for looking at this!

Carl