Re: Installing URW++ fonts, issue 4998: why not add wget lines to lilyde

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Installing URW++ fonts, issue 4998: why not add wget lines to lilydev-setup.sh?
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 14:01:08 +0200

Il giorno gio 5 ott 2017 alle 3:10, Karlin High <address@hidden> ha scritto:
On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 6:27 PM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]

 somehow this patch needs to be coordinated with Federico,
 rather than using the standard LilyPond patch sequence.

That's what I gathered, too. I assumed Federico follows this list. The
discussion had
stopped with the question of how to instruct new developers to get the fonts,
and I debated whether to continue it here,
or on the Sourceforge or Rietveld issues.

Hi Karlin

In my opinion these fonts should be provided by linux distros.
I've just read that a new package urw-base35-fonts will replace the obsolete urw-fonts in Fedora 27 (which should be released in November):
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/urw-base35-fonts-20170801-1.fc27

Upstream repository is:
https://github.com/ArtifexSoftware/urw-base35-fonts

I hope that Debian will do the same. I guess this is the package (at the moment only in experimental):
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=fonts-urw-base35

### about LilyDev ###

I've recently created a new LilyDev project, which I called LilyDevOS (based on latest stable Fedora):
https://github.com/fedelibre/LilyDevOS

This means that in a couple of months LilyDevOS may have this problem fixed.

It's not mentioned in LilyPond doc, as I thought I should wait for feedback from all LilyDev users. It has a number of advantages over LilyDev and for me it's much easier to use, for a number of reasons which I've listed here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2017-07/msg00014.html

Anyway, if we decide that the setup script in LilyDev should include your proposal, I'll be happy to see a pull request (if you have a github account) or I'll do the change for you. The problem in LilyDev is how to handle the guile1.8 problem: version 5 (master) is based on stretch and does not support guile1.8; version 4 is based on jessie and has guile1.8.