Re: Use -b together with -dgs-never-embed-fonts (issue 325630043 by addr

From: knupero
Subject: Re: Use -b together with -dgs-never-embed-fonts (issue 325630043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 05:54:24 -0700

A bit more far-reaching.

As newer versions of gs
  - don't need the helpemmentaler functions and
  - don't need the real inclusion of all font data and
  - don't need some other details and
  - don't work properly with our old code
we might well decide to kill --bigpdfs.

Instead of --bigpdfs this patch introduces --use-encodings

--use-encodings switches emmentaler glyph generation from "glyphshow" to
"show"+encodings and might be combined width -dgs-never-embed-fonts.

With --use-encodings there is an increase in file size, but it is not
dramatic. Nevertheless it should not be the default.

This patch gives a total size of 96MB for all of our documentation pdfs
on my system if used with ghostscript git master or at least ghostscript
9.20. Also extractpdfmark must be used.

If you use ghostscript versions below 9.20 or if extractpdfmark is not
present on your system, the total size of the documentation is about 306
MB.

du -sh build/ gives 2.6GB after a full build with this patch, 2.5GB
without it. Disk usage during the build probably is higher.

The last stage of building the pdfs does cost a significant amount of
processing time: generating the 306MB set of pdfs takes about 940
seconds on my system, generating the 96MB set of pdf takes an additional
110 seconds.

Documentation needs to be finished.

Please test on your systems.

https://codereview.appspot.com/325630043/