Lilypond is truly amazing

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Lilypond is truly amazing
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 15:21:04 -0400

Hello all (and especially active developers, current and past):

I want to say again how amazing I think Lilypond is, and pass on yet another
heartfelt thanks for all your hard work.

Today, it was something seemingly trivial: I found that slurs were passing too
close to noteheads. In a pinch, I usually just apply a tweak using the
edition-engraver on a slur-by-slur basis. This time, I wanted to see if there
was some global parameter I could tweak. Sure enough, I found
Slur.details.free-head-distance — a single line of code later, all my slurs
have a comfortable (for me) distance from their contained notes. The fact that
this parameter exists is just another example of how fine-grained the
customization is, and how well thought out Lilypond is in general.

Keep up the good work — those of us "on the front line" truly appreciate it.

Gratefully,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info