Re: Centering bass figures on whole notes and longer (issue 325070043 by

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Centering bass figures on whole notes and longer (issue 325070043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 10:09:58 +0100

On Sat, 2017-07-15 at 16:15 -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> On 2017/07/15 09:13:08, thomasmorley651 wrote:
>
> > If you try
> > \override BassFigure.X-offset =
> > #ly:self-alignment-interface::centered-on-x-parent
> > you'll see improvements in some cases (others are worse).
> > Therefore I think ly:self-alignment-interface::centered-on-x-parent is
> not the
> > correct tool, but something similiar could do the trick.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5154/#ce35
> May be a starting point/proof of concept.

You seem to have things under control with this code. I think
\centerOnNoteColumn
should be the default, I've been scouring the "Golden Age" of engraving
that LilyPond aspires to for examples and I noticed that the failure to
center isolated figures on whole-notes only becomes an eyesore when the
figures are in a small font size, at larger font sizes the figure fills
out the width of the note more. This can be seen, e.g., in Augener's
edition of the Corelli chamber sonatas. I've attached an example from

Denkmäler deutscher Tonkunst, Erste
Folge; Bd.18
Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel, 1904.
Plate D.D.T. XVIII.

which shows them centering the figure under a whole note in the first
bar shown and then aligning the first of two figures with the right edge
of the whole note in the second bar. At this font size it is quite
subtle though.

Richard