Re: Update copyright for 2016/17 files, and script (issue 320390043by ad

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Update copyright for 2016/17 files, and script (issue 320390043by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:04:26 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Bernard" <address@hidden>
To: "Urs Liska" <address@hidden>; "Devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:18 AM

Hi Urs,

My understanding of copyright is that the date range applies to the
published work as a whole, and does not operate on the granularity of
individual components. Furthermore, there is no legal requirement to
actually have a copyright notice at all, as works are naturally copyright
nowadays, and the notice is really only as a partial, and not critical,
piece of backup evidence used if cases go to court.

I speak from my knowledge of copyright in Australia, which is bound to be
different to Germany, as copyright law is inconsistent across regions.

Andrew

I think the copyright notice is a requirement of the GNU Ts and Cs:

"Whichever license you plan to use, the process involves adding two elements to each source file of your program: a copyright notice (such as "Copyright 1999 Terry Jones"), and a statement of copying permission, saying that the program is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (or the Lesser GPL)."

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

--
Phil Holmes