Re: Website upload

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Website upload
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 13:32:51 +0100

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]

        -n, --dry-run
                This makes rsync perform a  trial run that doesn’t make
                any changes (and  produces mostly the same  output as a
                real  run).  It  is most  commonly used  in combination
                with  the -v,  --verbose  and/or -i,  --itemize-changes
                options to  see what  an rsync command  is going  to do
                before one actually runs it.

                The  output  of  --itemize-changes is  supposed  to  be
                exactly the same on a dry run and a subsequent real run
                (barring   intentional   trickery   and   system   call
                failures);  if it  isn’t, that’s  a bug.   Other output
                should  be mostly  unchanged,  but may  differ in  some
                areas.  Notably,  a dry  run does  not send  the actual
                data for  file transfers, so --progress  has no effect,
                the  bytes  sent,  bytes received,  literal  data,  and
                matched data statistics are  too small, and the speedup
                value is  equivalent to a  run where no  file transfers
                were needed.

Maybe add -i to the options?

How did you catch the output?  On a terminal or via redirection?  Maybe
you need to redirect stderr as well?