Re: Options for using LilyPond in an Android app

From: Barton Stanley
Subject: Re: Options for using LilyPond in an Android app
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 20:52:41 +0000 (UTC)

FWIW, I live in the Kansas City metro area and the distinction between Kansas
and Kansas City is one that is important to the residents.  Here is all you
need to know to avoid a naming faux pas if you ever visit. :)
There is much confusion on this topic because there is a Kansas City in the
state of Kansas but also a Kansas City in the state of Missouri.  Moreover, the
states of Kansas and Missouri border each other and the two cities are across
that border from each other.  When most people say "Kansas City" they mean the
one in the state of Missouri, not the one in the state of Kansas.  The Kansas
City in Missouri is the home of the 2015 major league baseball champion Royals
and the American football NFL team, the Chiefs as well as the American soccer
team Sporting Kansas City.  It also has the number 1 and number 5 museums in
the US according to Yelp.  You are probably saying "consider the source" and
rightfully so, but the Nelson-Atkins museum does have a superb collection of
Chinese art (of all things!) and the WW I museum is, in fact, quite good.
The Kansas City in Kansas is much smaller than its Missouri counterpart and not
as well known, though it is the birthplace of Maurice Greene, who from 1999 to
2002 held the world record in the 100m at 9.79 seconds.
If you go to a popular music concert in Kansas City, Missouri, someone from the
band will almost invariably yell to the crowd, "Helloooo, Kansas!", thinking
they are in the state of Kansas when they are actually in Missouri.  I'm sure
they wonder why the response from the crowd is more muted than in other cities.
 It's because some people are cheering, while others are dejected and muttering
"no, it's Missouri!!" under their breath.
So there you have it, a quick tour through the Kansas City/Missour/Kansas
naming mine field and an introduction to its residents who are in a constant
state of identity crisis.  :)

    On Sunday, July 31, 2016 4:15 PM, Wols Lists <address@hidden> wrote:

 On 31/07/16 19:22, David Kastrup wrote:

>> > Well, I thought Kansas WAS a city.
> Well, there may be a few minuscule towns named "Kansas", but the
> "proper" Kansas is a state.  You were probably thinking of Kansas City.

Well, if you're going to be pedantic, the figures for London are
completely wrong as well. I believe the population of the City of London
is in the low thousands. The figure in your web-page is for Greater
London, most of which is not London at all ... :-)

>> > And the city boundaries are well big - although most of it is land
>> > earmarked for development, and is actually pretty rural - not even
>> > suburbs.
> Uh, what?

Yes!

As I understand it, the official city boundary extends far beyond the
built up area. Weird I know, but ... Dunno where I picked up on that,
but it wouldn't surprise me if it was when I visited my aunt and cousins
who live there.

Cheers,
Wol