Re: 2.19.46 does not build on openSUSE leap 42.1

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 2.19.46 does not build on openSUSE leap 42.1
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2016 12:13:08 +0200

Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> writes:

> Having experienced seg faults on the 2.19.46 download on openSUSE, now
> when building it from source to troublehshoot the issue the build
> fails.

> The notation.makeinfo.log is full of errors about Tex:
>

> /home/andro/src/lilypond-2.19.46/Documentation/out//notation/pitches.texi:4357:
> Unknown command `raggedright'.
>
> /home/andro/src/lilypond-2.19.46/Documentation/out//notation/pitches.texi:4360:
> Unmatched address@hidden'.
>
> /home/andro/src/lilypond-2.19.46/Documentation/out//notation/pitches.texi:4438:
> Unknown command `raggedright'.
>
> /home/andro/src/lilypond-2.19.46/Documentation/out//notation/pitches.texi:4439:
> Unmatched address@hidden'.
>

> Is this related to previous discussion about GUB builds failing? [I am
> sorry, I have not been following this in detail.]
>

> In short, we have a situation where on openSUSE we can’t run the
> downloadable 2.19.46 and we can’t (or I cannot) build it either.
>

> What should I do to help out here?

I'm surprised that apparently GUB was able to build what was labelled as
2.19.46-1 but maybe the documentation build relies on local Texinfo
installations.  Current master already contains a fix.  It barely
escaped becoming part of 2.19.46.

It is quite possible that had this patch been submitted through the
regular channels, that some Patchy might have balked at it (though I
don't know which Texinfo versions are currently installed on the various
Patchy computers).

It wasn't, nobody thought of holding up the release process timely, and
so we have another developer release only useful on a limited number of
platforms (compilations of 2.19.45 crashed on GCC6 builds).  At least
one of those releases crashes on newer systems, and one fails to compile
on older systems.  So you probably have at least one of those fine
unless a distribution decided to stick with Texinfo 4 until the
performance regressions have been partially sorted out.

I don't think that at the current point of time there is anything more
to do than wait for 2.19.47.