Re: GSoC spanners review/update

From: Nathan Chou
Subject: Re: GSoC spanners review/update
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 03:37:51 -0700

Hello,

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
> You're now a developer AFA SourceForge is concerned, which means you can add
> Issues.  There are a few more hoops to jump through before you can submit
> patches.

I have uploaded the patch, thanks.

Having worked on cross-voice slurs and discussed ties with Jan-Peter,
I am considering adding a new command (not yet sure what the exact
syntax should be) that sets a spanner's current voice. Currently, when
a cross-voice spanner starts, it remains in the same voice (i.e. is
handled by the same engraver instance) until the stop event occurs.
However, there are situations where the spanner needs to change voices
before the stop event, which the new command would achieve.

For example:
{ g\=Staff.1~ << g\newCommand \\ g >> }
The command indicates that the tie's voice changes to the top voice,
where the tie ends upon seeing the g. In this case, another
alternative could be to add a tie stop event.

\new Staff { << { g\=Staff.1( a b } >> << { c,\newCommand d e\=Staff.1) } >> }
Without the command indicating the slur's change in voice, the d and e
would not be acknowledged by the slur, since it would still belong to
the voice it started in.

Does this seem reasonable?

Nathan