Re: Replace `-dgs-load-fonts' to `--bigpdfs' in lilypond-book (issue 300

From: James
Subject: Re: Replace `-dgs-load-fonts' to `--bigpdfs' in lilypond-book (issue 300280043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 19:35:34 +0100

hello,

On 22/07/16 18:48, Carl Sorensen wrote:

On 7/22/16 9:35 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of David Kastrup"
<address@hidden on behalf of
address@hidden> wrote:

A 30% reduction in the final output file size sounds nice.  Personally,
I find the prospect of not having 4GB of disk usage for running
lilypond-patchy-staging quite more compelling, and I would seriously
suspect that all the amount of font juggling and merging subsetted fonts
will not just take quite a bit of disk space but also of processing
time.  So if we could successfully pull this off and have it work
reliably for lilypond-book, I consider it likely to end up as a real
boon in resource usage.
I expect this to be a real boon as well.

However, without doing a careful study, I expect that the 4GB of disk
space used for running lilypond-patchy-staging largely related to the
large number of snippet files, each of which rather inefficiently uses
disk allocation units.  So I'm not sure I see a huge reduction in this
overall disk usage for running patchy.

But this is just a hunch, not a demonstrated reality.

After my last Patchy run (just now) I get this (ive edited so just the largest dirs in each case are shown):

NB> It seems that the Japanese docs are built using its own 'build' dir (i.e. it has its own out-www build doc and doesn't seem to share any of the files the other docs do while building, but I am probably not understanding this).

Are we wasting build time and space with the way we build the Japanese docs compared to the other languages?

Anyway...

address@hidden ~/lilypond-git/build $  du -smh * | sort -hr
1.9G    input
1.4G    Documentation