Re: [GSoC] spanners project update

From: Nathan Chou
Subject: Re: [GSoC] spanners project update
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 00:01:50 -0700

Thanks David and Urs for replying.

>> There is a detail I would like to clarify. David suggested allowing \=
>> to optionally specify the parent context in which a cross-voice
>> spanner's information is shared (although I am not sure how that would
>> be done with a key-list, since I think the spanner id itself is a
>> string).
>
> Right.  Maybe it should rather be a key?  That would also make
> comparison generally faster than string comparisons.

Would I convert a string input to a key, or should I only accept a key
as a valid id? The latter seems more convenient but I imagine would
break backward compatibility.

>> If this context is not specified, should it default to Score or Staff
>> (or something else)?
>
> Nothing at all?  Namely don't look anywhere else unless asked for?

So cross voice spanners should only work if the context to share
information is specified, right? If the context is not specified and
there is no default, the spanner id would only be used within the same
voice and not made known to any other contexts.

Nathan