Re: Fun with upgrades - not

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Fun with upgrades - not
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 18:41:40 +0100

On 28/06/16 15:50, Phil Holmes wrote:
> So I'm back to thinking about what to do with the Linux installation.  An
> option would be to start from scratch with the latest version of LilyDev.
> My concern is how this would mount my two non-system disks: a 2TB hard
> drive and an SSD.  With 14.04, if I access my SSD from my "patchy" user,
> my mail "phil" uer can't see the drive since it seems to mount at
> media/patchy.

I've had this fun too ... what init system is 12.04 using?

I put a line for my cdrom in /etc/fstab, and it automounted fine - until
I rebooted the computer without a CD in the drive and systemd kicked me
into the recovery console as it treated the lack of a CD as a critical
error ...

So you have two obvious options here - (1) put your drives into fstab
with "noauto,user" options. That way either user id can manually mount
the drive, and the other should be able to see it, or (2) whatever init
system you've got, find out how to autodetect the insertion of the
drive, and automount it for you at a particular mount point. I think now
you can multimount these things, so maybe you could automount at both
~phil/2TB and ~patchy/2TB, and linux will sort out the access locks etc
for you ...

Cheers,
Wol