Re: compiling lilypond fails

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: compiling lilypond fails
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 14:08:41 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I see a single error.  That's ... curious.  Have to go to rehearsal now,
>>> will investigate later.
>>
>> Ok, I'll just push issue 4903 out right now.  Not because I think it
>> will fix the problem: I cannot really imagine that.  Merely because it
>> moves the goal posts far enough that I am loath to try finding a
>> solution for a problem that might or might not still apply two days
>> later.
>>
>> I'll try picking up further on the problem in its then current state
>> tomorrow.
>>
>> Sorry for the extra work.
>
> Ok, issue 4903 is now in master.  What's the news on make -k output now?
> Does applying the last patch (the one with ENGRAVER_INHERIT in its
> title) make any difference in the amount of reported errors?

Sigh.  I can answer this myself I think.  After installing g++-4.8 and
using

    ./configure CXX="g++-4.8 -m64" PYTHON_CONFIG="no"

(the -m64 is because I installed 64bit guile libraries since guile does
not seem to support multilib, and the PYTHON_CONFIG="no" is because
python-config --cflags puts out several flags not supported by g++-4.8)

I've been able to reproduce the error from yesterday.  But it compiles
on the code of today.  So 4903 seems to fix this problem as a side
effect; I have no good idea why.  But it seems somewhat pointless to go
hunting after it until it actually reoccurs.

I'll test the next few changes in this area with this setup before
submitting anyway.