Re: Replace `-dgs-load-fonts' to `--bigpdfs' in lilypond-book (issue 300

From: dak
Subject: Re: Replace `-dgs-load-fonts' to `--bigpdfs' in lilypond-book (issue 300280043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 13:21:35 -0700

On 2016/06/11 08:56:19, dak wrote:
On 2016/06/11 08:40:12, trueroad wrote:
> Remove `-dgs-load-fonts' in lilypond-book

The problem I have with that behavior is the ridiculous amount of disk
space it
consumes.  I believe we use this for building the LilyPond docs
already, and I
need about 4GB of free disk space to run a build with docs right now.
4GB.
Several small snippets chip in with 20MB of size.

Ok, so I've taken a look at log files, and I have had to adjust my
beliefs.  The way it appears to me, the docs are currently built (at
least partially) using -dgs-load-fonts .  I haven't seen --bigpdf
actually used.  So is gs-load-fonts unable to do proper subsetting and
causes large PDF size?

Sorry, I am completely without clue here.  The ideal behavior to me
would be that no intermediate files include any fonts at all and that
the final lilypond-book results incorporate complete but subsetted
fonts, once.  But obviously I have no clue how to achieve that state.
And I also have no clue what our current options actually do, if any.
All I know is that the current situation takes ridiculous amounts of
disk space to build the docs.

https://codereview.appspot.com/300280043/