Re: make doc still fails - problem with lilypond-book - was: Still canno

From: Masamichi Hosoda
Subject: Re: make doc still fails - problem with lilypond-book - was: Still cannot make doc
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 18:15:27 +0900 (JST)

> As of
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg40846.html
> I had uninstalled Noto and instead installed IPA fonts _and_ IPAex fonts.
> After uninstalling IPAex fonts - first the test-case worked and now I
> have success on a full `make doc'.

It seems that fonts-ipaexfont-{mincho|gothic} packages
contain a fontconfig setting file that raise own priority.

> Any chance to get a more meaningful error-message?
> Or is there any criterion we could select such problematic fonts?

I've tried some Japanese fonts with `-dgs-load-fonts' option.

"IPAMincho" in ipam.ttf:
    fine.

"IPAPMincho" in ipamp.ttf:
    fine.

"IPAexMincho" in ipaexm.ttf:
    compilation failed due to ghostscript error.

"MS Mincho" in msmincho.ttc:
    compilation successful
    but all Japanese characters are shown as TOFU.

"MS PMincho" in msmincho.ttc:
    compilation successful but all Japanese characters are vanished.

"Noto Sans CJK JP" in NotoSansCJK.ttc:
    compilation failed due to ghostscript error.

"Source Han Sans" in SourceHanSans-Regular.otf:
    fine.

So most Japanese fonts can not be used with `-dgs-load-fonts' option.

In addition, all fonts of the above without `-dgs-load-fonts' option are fine.
I suggest removing `-dgs-load-fonts' option from lilypond-book.
I think that `--bigpdfs' option is more suitable than `-dgs-load-fonts'.