Re: midi2ly will not launch on OSX 10.11.4

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: midi2ly will not launch on OSX 10.11.4
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 22:49:24 +0200

> On 13 Apr 2016, at 22:18, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> address@hidden writes:

>>> That is a question about usage, hence to be asked on the -user list.
>>
>> No, the question is not about usage, it is about something not working
>> as described in the instructions.
>>
>>> What’s more, you’ll do everybody a great favour if you don’t
>>> randomly reply to any thread you find, but start a new thread if
>>> you’ve got a new topic.
>>

>> What makes you think that i’m doing that ?
>> The subject is a new topic.
>
> That's why you should not have told your mail program that it is a reply

Such metadata copied into the mail message is not a part of any official
protocols, so it is a bug in the mail reader you use. :-)

Anyway, for the issue, it has been bach and forth (yes, I saw that typo.): the
original midi2ly was compiled for an old python version, expecting i386. One
could use:

$ /usr/bin/arch -i386 /usr/bin/python2.7
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/midi2ly <file>.midi

But is not working now:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/midi2ly", line 54, in
<module>
    import midi
ImportError:
dlopen(/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/lib/lilypond/current/python/midi.so,
 2): Library not loaded:
/home/gub/NewGub/gub/target/darwin-x86/root/usr/cross/i686-apple-darwin8/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib
  Referenced from:
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/lib/lilypond/current/python/midi.so
  Reason: image not found

A strange path here: /home/gub/...

$ file
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/lib/lilypond/current/python/midi.so

/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/lib/lilypond/current/python/midi.so:
 Mach-O bundle i386