stepmake in lilypond (was: stepmake no longer available in debian?!)

From: Villum Sejersen
Subject: stepmake in lilypond (was: stepmake no longer available in debian?!)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 00:00:53 +0100

On 17-12-2015 17:54, David Kastrup wrote:

stepmake is no longer available as a debian package!
That's irrelevant as LilyPond comes with its own copy of stepmake.

Sorry! I did'nt realise that. It must I hope be documented somewhere
(apart from [not in] INSTALL.txt)?

address@hidden:/usr/local/src/lilypond/build# git pull origin
Already up-to-date.

address@hidden:/usr/local/src/lilypond/build# ../configure
Please start with

cd /usr/local/src/lilypond && ./autogen.sh --noconfigure

Only then will the system be in useful state.

If it did any difference to my system I would be glad, but that is
apparently /*not*/ the case!

address@hidden:/usr/local/src/lilypond# ./autogen.sh --noconfigure
processing .
Running autoconf ...
Skipping configure process.

address@hidden:/usr/local/src/lilypond# ./configure
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking Package... LILYPOND
checking builddir... /usr/local/src/lilypond
checking for stepmake... ./stepmake  (${datarootdir}/stepmake not found)
checking for gmake... no
checking for make... make
checking for find... find
checking for tar... tar
checking for bash... /bin/bash
checking for python... python
checking python version... 2.7.11
checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/usr/local/src/lilypond':
See `config.log' for more details - (attached)

address@hidden:/usr/local/src/lilypond# whereis stepmake
stepmake:

I usually run updates from a 'build' directory, but that does not seem
to make any difference.

I must now suspect that the problem perhaps arises from some for me
hidden alteration to the debian version of gcc etc.? My 'testing'
installation is updated very often.

Nope. What parts of stepmake LilyPond needs are included in LilyPond
itself.

Well, that's good to know, but where is it documented?

Not to forget: thanks for the prompt response.

--
med venlig hilsen
Villum Sejersen