Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 10:37:35 +0200

Le 19/07/2015 08:25, Federico Bruni a écrit :
[…]

 2. We still depend on texi2html and the help request by
 Jean-Charles, who tried moving to texi2any, not surprisingly was
 ignored:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-05/msg00032.html

[Werner]
The `non surprisingly' is polemic.  As you certainly know, if noone
answers on the mailing list, the request is not ignored, but nobody
has time or knowledge to help – I really would love to help, but I
also don't have time currently.  Just imagine that all developers
write I'm-so-sorry-e-mails for every request...

I didn't mean to be polemic, I just wanted to highlight strongly that
AFAICS we do not have active maintainers of the current tools. The first
point I wrote above, which you think is irrelevant to the discussion, is
relevant.

texi2html is deprecated since 2011. It's still present in most
distributions but I guess that it won't be there forever. For example,
in Debian:
https://wiki.debian.org/Texi2htmlTransition

There will be a pressing need to move to texi2any quite soon, otherwise
LilyPond may be removed from the distro repository.

I'll rise it again, since texinfo-6.0 has been released and I upgraded my Fedora (21, don't want 22 for now…), once the Translation branch will have been updated in French. I've an (over)full-time job, and try to keep the French part of docs up to date as well as try to help, but days last only 24 hours and I've no skill in programming (just trying to understand but often reach my limits) and don't want to break anything!

Cheers,
Jean-Charles