Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 09:23:44 +0200

Il giorno ven 10 lug 2015 alle 20:49, Paul Morris <address@hidden> ha scritto:
My thinking is that it would be good to move some or all of the examples page[1] to the main column of the home page where the news is now. That clearly shows what LilyPond can do, front and center.

I agree!
I would make a carousel of all the examples. It can be done without javascript. For example:
https://github.com/benschwarz/gallery-css/

To me the full news listing seems less important to feature so prominently on the home page, so one idea would be for the news list to become a list of headlines in the home page side bar (possibly made wider) with each headline linking to that news entry on a separate news page. That separate news page could just be a slightly revised version of the current "old news" page[2] (i.e. just call it “News”).

I add one more reason to move the news elsewhere: most of translated websites do not translate the news and an homepage with mixed content of english and another language doesn't sound too good. Currently the news are the main content of the homepage. If we use a side bar with headlines it's better. IMO the main content of the home page should be images with examples and few "slogan" sentences.