Re: make-non-relative-music & partcombine

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: make-non-relative-music & partcombine
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 08:30:36 +0200

Dan Eble <address@hidden> writes:

> On Jun 30, 2015, at 04:37 , David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> \relative {
>>  \partcombine { ... } { ... }
>> }
>>
>> where the ... itself does not have a \relative inside.  We might not
>> have something like that in the regtests but I could well imagine that
>> stuff gets erratic in that case.
>
> Thank you.  That works.
>
> So in general, should \relative { \anycommand { ... } } avoid treating
> the inner music as relative?

Uh, no?

\relative { \harmonicNotes {...} }

would be rather weird without treating the inner music as relative.
\partcombine, on the other hand, splits its contents into two separate
parts before \relative gets to see it.  If those parts were visible to
relative after being split, the behavior would be quite peculiar.