Re: Reasons for cross-voice limitations?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Reasons for cross-voice limitations?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 09:18:50 +0200

Am 30.03.2015 um 07:58 schrieb David Kastrup:
Kevin Barry <address@hidden> writes:

For sure the voice context limitations are a pain, and if I knew how, I
would write a function for starting and finishing slurs without the need
for creating a hidden voice, but I don't even know if it is possible. In my
own head, I imagine that LilyPond `thinks' in voices and there isn't much
that can be done about that. Practically 100% of my work is either piano
music or music reduced to two staves, so I bump up against this issue all
the time. I never use the part combiner.
You can move the slur engraver to Staff level and use spanner-id for all
slurs.  But that will make you lose cross-staff slurs.  Of course, you
can use the slur engraver to Score level, but then you really have to
work your spanner-id variety.

This would warrant a better mechanism to transplant spanners to a
different context: basically one would want a mechanism to listen to
slur endings in a different context than to slur starts.  Possibly
optionally with a \once qualification.

I think the idea of an analogy to \change Staff would be a good start. Tell a slur that it is going to end in another voice, probably immediately before it is started. Maybe something like
  \once \override Slur.target = "another-voice-name"
or
  \once \override Slur.id = "my-changed-slur"
  \once \override Slur.change-voice = ##t.

The first one would require the target to be a named voice, the second would require all context to listen for that slur.

(of course slurs and co. are only one part of the issue, dynamics and text spanners share the problem).

Urs