Re: Ghostscript 9.15

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Ghostscript 9.15
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:43:23 +0100

Am 25.03.2015 um 07:50 schrieb David Kastrup:
So that’s probably a matter of the font, not of its style - not every
>font defines ligatures, and the name „TakaoPGothic“ tells me its main
>focus would be Japanese (is this true?), so the designers probably
>didn’t put so much work in features of Latin script.
>
>Would you care to try a different font?
Well, why would the sans-serif font be TakaoPGothic in the first place?
I think we should be using the same default fonts on every installation.

We don't use any particular font for sans-serif and monospace. LilyPond simply calls the OS's default here. Which is something I'd like to raise (once more?): Would it be an option to find suitable complementing fonts here, ship them with LilyPond and make them the default? I think chances that a default sans-serif is anywhere near visually suitable for a LilyPond score are pretty small. Usually they are chosen for very different purposes (i.e. clean screen display for user interfaces). While I think DejaVu Sans (default here) is a good font for its purposes it's really ugly when used in a LilyPond score.

Urs