Re: Google Summer of Code 2015

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2015
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 02:07:46 +0100

Hello David, Georgy, all,

I got a message from Paul that you're interested in working on
LilyPond during GSoC - that's great!

I think that both musicxml support and tie formatting can be shaped
into GSoC projects, although I expect that these projects would be
quite open-ended.  I also expect that it may be impossible to
_completely_ fix tie formatting during 3 months of GSoC.  Still, any
progress achieved would be very welcome.
As I see it, the formatting engine probably needs to be rewritten -
right now it uses some heuristics to determine tie formatting, and in
my opinion these heuristics are fundamentally broken (but I'm not 100%
sure about that).

As for slurs, I think that they are well outside of the scope of a
GSoC project.  There are a few small things that could surely be
fixed, but writing a generic tool for formatting slurs would take much
more time than 3 man-months (for someone not already familiar with
LilyPond internals).

Long time ago I have collected all of my research concerning ties in a
repository on github:
https://github.com/janek-warchol/tie-crusade
I suggest that you take a quick look at it (follow the first paragraph
of the README) to get an overview of the task at hand.  It probably
needs some cleanup - I'll review and update it over the next two days.

Let's discuss this in more details in two days, shall we?

best wishes,
Janek