Re: Google Summer of Code 2015

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2015
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 10:38:11 -0700 (MST)

Urs Liska wrote
> One thing to keep in mind with this is not to be too focused on MusicXML.
> MusicXML is _one_ XML format, and not the best.
> I think the first step should be a generic XML representation, so
> LilyPond could read XML files - and also write to them. MusicXML or MEI
> or whatever other XML format one might come up with should then be
> transformed to that generic LilyXML.

Just to clarify for David G, as I understand it the Frescobaldi team are
working on creating an XML representation of LilyPond's internal Scheme
music data that LilyPond creates from the user's .ly input file (like you
can see with \displayMusic).[0]  As I understand it, part of the motivation
for that is to be able to use Python's XML tools to do things with that
"LilyXML" (like converting it to and from MusicXML and MEI).  (Frescobaldi
is a Python app.)  So that's what Urs is describing here.

David K. is suggesting another approach, which I assume would entail using
Guile/Scheme's XML tools[1] to automatically create a Scheme representation
of an XML document (either MusicXML or MEI) and then use Scheme to do the
conversion into LilyPond's internal Scheme music data "format" (bypassing
LilyPond's input plain text format).

Basically one approach is "get the data into XML format and then use Python
on it" while the other is "get the data into Scheme format and use Scheme on
it."

David G., can you tell us about your experience/qualifications, especially
in terms of C++, Scheme, and Python, and how this might affect what project
you'd like to take on?

(I agree with Urs that MEI would be great to have, but I think MusicXML
would take priority.  Also, I think I read that someone will be working on a
MEI-to-LilyPond script for a particular project.[2])

-Paul

[0]
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/converting-LilyPond-score-to-XML-tc171447.html
[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/SXML.html#SXML