Re: Naming callback generators for grobs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Naming callback generators for grobs
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 11:00:04 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

>> For grob::calc-property-by-copy a few names were bounced around in the
>> Rietveld discussion.  My last proposal regarding
>> grob::calc-property-by-copy were grob::from-event-property and
>> grob::event-property-getter.  An intermediate proposal was just
>> grob::event-property but that is less likely to be expected returning a
>> callback procedure rather than a property.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Obviously, the same naming would want to get applied to
>> grob::inherit-parent-property which currently is named completely
>> differently.
>

> It's rather longer, but what about get-property-from-grob-event ?

I don't really see it as a good tradeoff between conciseness and
descriptiveness.  Basically, one wants to arrive from task (callback
generator for getting a named property from somewhere else) to name
without lots of remembering things.  grob::from-event-property uses
basically grob::from for the grob callback thing, and event-property for
where to get from.  get-property-from-grob-event is a bag packed quite
looser and with components that are less discernible.