Re: thoughts on changing \magnifyMusic, please comment

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: thoughts on changing \magnifyMusic, please comment
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 17:14:33 +0200

Am 02.08.2014 11:35, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
Now with requests for absolute and relative versions, as
>well as this:
>
>   \temporary \magnifyStaff 1.3
>   \undo \magnifyStaff 1.3
>
>...I'm starting to wonder how much of this is really
>necessary.  Can anyone provide an actual use case to justify
>accommodating either of these requests?
I admit that i don't have an actual use case.  I expect that crazy
composers like Mike (hello Mike! :)) could want to make the staff
progressively bigger and bigger each measure, for example as a fancy
way of indicating global crescendo sustained over many measures.  But
that's just a speculation.

I don't have concrete examples either, but I can think of two practical use cases: Temporarily changing staff size may be useful in pedagogical sheets. And you could make it useful when writing "dialogue" like parts, i.e. when two or more instruments or singers sing/play alternatingly. Then it may be helpful for sight-reading when your own part is on maginfied parts of the staff.

Urs

--
Urs Liska
www.openlilylib.org