Re: Text and music font handling

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Text and music font handling
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 11:56:01 +0200

On 07/26/2014 09:30 AM, Urs Liska wrote:
Hi Abraham and Alexander,

I'm slightly losing track of the font selection discussions that happen
in parallel currently.
Are you actually in touch with each other? I'd be really sorry if either
of your development wouldn't make it into LilyPond because of a lack of
communication.

Hi Urs, hi Abraham,

don't worry, it'll end up in LilyPond at some point. But I have to admit that I did not have a look at Abraham's work other than skimming over the newest PDFs. I was travelling, and also will be on vacation from Sunday for a week. As soon as I'm back again, I will push myself to polish up and see how we can integrate our work.

By the way, Abraham: IIRC, you asked about how to prepare a patch for review. I'm not an expert in that, but it looks like I did so successfully; so if you can wait for another 10 days or so, feel free to contact me and I'll do what is necessary. Or take the offer by other friendly helpers.

Regarding the music font selection:
My uneasy feeling about breakinge existing code is surely invalid
because convert-ly will handle that easily.

That's good to hear. I'm not familiar enough with convert-ly, but I agree that if we come up with a somewhat sane approach for choosing the fonts, it should not be too hard to concoct a rule which will do the job.

What I'm still not completely happy with is the fact that one has to
always specify all five fonts, even when one only wants to change the
roman font or the music font.

+1. It's on my TODO list. I consider this as syntactic sugar over the current make-pango-font-tree and make-expert-font-tree, but I totally agree that this should be integrated. Won't be difficult, I just need to figure out how to modify the currently active font tree in place.

It would be awesome if you could think of an infrastructure that
separates the internal work and the user interface so that one could
either have a function using, say, named arguments with default values
or have different functions depending on what you want to change.

Ditto.

Best,
Alexander