Re: Next step for easier custom music font switching

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Next step for easier custom music font switching
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 08:16:20 -0700 (PDT)

David Kastrup wrote
> Possibly using named arguments, so
>
> (make-pango-font-tree "FreeSerif" "FreeSans" "Inconsolata"
>    #:music "lilyjazz" #:brace "gonville")
>
> Though I am not overly happy with what would be the required and what
> would be the optional font arguments.
>
> Maybe recycling the same function name is not really worth the trouble.
> A backward compatible interface seems to create more trouble than it
> solves.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Could we make them all optional? They all have defaults, after all. There
have been plenty of times where I haven't cared what the sans-serif and
monospace fonts were because all I wanted to change was the serif font.

As for the function name recycling, do you think it would then be more
useful to create a new function instead? I'm cool with that. I just wanted
to make sure everyone else thought this was a good idea. Like I said before,
I hardly changed the original functions. 99+% of the code is the same.
Putting the music/brace font arguments at the end also sound fine to me if
that works for everyone else.

Regards,
Abraham