Re: AccidentalCautionary in NullVoice

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: AccidentalCautionary in NullVoice
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 18:29:38 +0200

Hello,

> Dan Eble <dan <at> faithful.be> writes:
>
>> It sounds like you are saying the issue with spurious accidental
>> cancellations is fixed in 2.19.9
>
> No, NullVoice still has those problems, because it still creates
> invisible note-heads, and applies various workarounds so that the
> note-heads don't have any effect except for positioning Lyrics.
>
> 2.19.9 positions Lyrics better if you enter Lyrics with durations,
> no longer needing the note-heads for positioning.  This opens the
> door to avoid the problems in NullVoice.

To be more precise, with my fixes in 2.19.9 Lyrics no longer have to
be explicitely attached to noteheads, because they can find respective
noteheads themselves.  This should make it possible to get rid of the
fake/simulated noteheads in the NullVoice context, which give us
trouble.

>> Entering lyrics with durations is inconvenient.
>
> So we want to get durations from music in a NullVoice.
> What I posted earlier was a suggested re-definition of NullVoice that
> does only what is needed.

I think that your idea of simply using Devnull instead of NullVoice
might give surprisingly good results.

> Dan & Keith,
>
> NullVoice was my idea, for better or worse.  I implemented it without
> entirely understanding what I was doing, and I probably pushed it in too
> fast, without sufficient testing.  I wanted to offer users *something* to
> use.  Anyway, a good place to start fixing it would be to compile a suite
> of regression tests, cobbling together example code from all the complaints
> on the user list, and then fixing bugs one at a time if need be.

Exactly.  Dan, if you want to push the issue forward, one way to do so
would be to collect all example usages of NullVoice from the
documentation
(http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics#polyphony-with-shared-lyrics)
and the bug tracker
(https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=1&q=NullVoice&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Stars+Owner+Patch+Needs+Summary&cells=tiles),
put them in one file, try changing all instances of NullVoice to
Devnull and see what happens.  It's a simple thing to do, and with
this information we may be able to fix the nullvoice problem. (i don't
have time to do this myself).

best,
Janek