Re: Doc: NR Pitches.itely - added 2 new snippets (issue 110240044 by add

From: pkx166h
Subject: Re: Doc: NR Pitches.itely - added 2 new snippets (issue 110240044 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 07:34:26 +0000

On 2014/07/01 06:56:42, Keith wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 14:40:17 -0700, <mailto:address@hidden> wrote:

>> Is it worth making the Notation Reference longer?
>
> What do you suggest?

Depending on your opinion about the NR length, maybe leaving these
examples in
lsr only.

https://codereview.appspot.com/110240044/diff/40001/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode1325
> Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:1325: \override
> Staff.KeySignature.flat-positions = #'((-5 . 5))
> On 2014/06/29 03:17:00, Keith wrote:
>> This already shows how to print key signatures over a different or
> wider range
>> of the staff.  You might consider this good enough.
>
> I don't understand what you mean. Good enough compared to what?

Good enough alone, without the creating-custom-key-signatures.ly
snippet.
The double-clef would fit in tweaking-clef-properties.ly

Or, the double-clef might be a better example for \translate in
appendix A.10.2
\markup {
     \combine
       \musicglyph #"clefs.C"
       \translate #'(2.5 . 2) \musicglyph #"clefs.G"
}

If you don't mind the NR length, this all looks good as it is.

Oh I see.

I had reduced the NR's 'Clef' section slightly in a previous check-in -
where I deleted the list of 'here are some other examples of different
clefs' and referred it to a newly created Appendix listing all the clefs
there. Then I saw your email (regarding this changing the clef engraver)
and the reaction it got and wondered if perhaps others had been wanting
something like this a lot; but if this isn't something people really
would use that much then I have no problems leaving it in the
LSR/Snippets doc.

I prefer only having snippets in the NR where they are the most often
called for tweaks/overrides etc. Than just for the sake of showing
something elegant if unused. It is very easy to want to fill up the NR
with snippets.

I'll make another patch and remove it from the NR directly.

Thank you for the explanation.

James

https://codereview.appspot.com/110240044/